Friday, May 28, 2010

Day 27

When I got to work, I walked in just as my district manager was leaving. We chatted in the doorway for a minute and I wished her a good trip back. As we parted she mentioned that she had left something for me in the office. I headed to the back where I found a bagel wrapped in a paper towel in the fridge, and coupon for a free sandwich taped to the inside of my locker. There have been many small gestures like this, ways that others are showing their support, that has made me feel confident in my abilities to get through the month. I have experienced a great feeling of community this month, one that I hope does not go away come June.

While at work, I talked extensively with another manager about the project. It was coming to an end, and she asked me what the first thing I was going to buy would be. I thought about it and responded "nothing stupid like a pack of gum or something..." and kept thinking. Well I knew what I wasn't going to buy, gum. Then I remembered I don't really chew gum in the first place, so that was obviously out.

I wondered whether it should really matter or not, and concluded that my choice does matter. I have always believed in the saying "your dollar is your vote", and it seems now more than ever, I am wanting to make my vote reflect my beliefs. Maybe it is because since I have not been relying directly on the monetary system, I feel like less of a slave to the whole thing. I feel more free, and thus choosing what to commit to is just that, a choice. I am going to choose wisely...because I know I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment