Monday, May 31, 2010

Day 30


The last day. I woke up pretty excited. I was thinking about how I had stayed committed to my idea, and after today I would have accomplished my goal...I had to be at Einstein's Bagels at 9:15 to barter two homemade greeting cards for two cans of coffee. The guy I was bartering with had requested I do something artsy on the front, and leave the inside blank. The night before, I looked all around my apartment for some inspiration. I was sitting on my couch pondering what to draw when I noticed Sam. She had made her way up on the couch, and had curled up next to me for a nap. I held my breath and began sketching her, hoping hard not to disturb her while I tried to get the football shape of her head just right... I was glad to have chosen her for the cards, because she makes me happy, and anything that makes you happy is probably a great thing to put on the front of a greeting card.

I had called Einstein's earlier to see if they had a coupon deal going on, but the only thing offered was a free bagel on Friday mornings. When I met the guy I was bartering with, I apologized for not being able to get us breakfast. He said that was fine and that he had also thought to throw in one of those apple pie snack things with the coffee, so at least I had something to eat. We talked for about 20 minutes about different things. We spoke about the project, and he told me about a friend of his who lived like a homeless person for a month. During that time he was moved by the kindness he encountered, not only from those with money, but from the other homeless people he was living amongst during that time. I also inquired about his cousin, whom he had asked me to pray for.

"He's doing better...the doctor's are calling it a miracle".

I pulled out my cards and handed them over. He liked them very much. It felt good to give the cards away for someone else to enjoy, and I wondered who would get them next.

We hugged and parted and wished one another well, and then it was time for work. A few days earlier another manager gave me a coupon for a free shake at Chic-fil-a. She told me how much she loved their sandwiches but didn't really need the free shake. As she was talking, I went to my purse and retrieved a coupon I had for a free chicken sandwich. It was from my stack of coupons that I had uncovered while cleaning my apartment, I think it had come in the mail. Anyway, I gave it to her in exchange for the shake coupon. She was hesitant to accept it but I assured her I was not starving, and even had some chicken at home. I explained I did not however, have a shake at home, so it was a great trade for both of us. After hearing my reasoning, she accepted the coupon.

Coincidentally, Chic-fil-a was launching their new spicy chicken sandwich that day. To promote it, they were giving away a free sandwich to everyone who went online and pre-registered. Luckily, I had gotten this tip from someone who had been following my project on-line, so I was able to sign up about a week ago. I ordered the sandwich and a strawberry shake. The cashier found my name on her clipboard, and marked me off the list. I went out into the heat to enjoy my last free meal of May. It was delicious. Even the pickle. Really.

After work I had plans to visit one of my best friends. We were going to discuss a project we're working on together, and then go out for a drink and a meal at midnight to celebrate the end of my moneyless month. I was a bit worried about gas, but someone once told me you have 30 miles after the light goes on before you're really out of gas...I hoped that person was right. At about 11:20, my friend and I headed to a local restaurant and I ordered a burger. We sat and talked about the past month, he asked if it had changed me or grown me in anyway...I plan on posting another entry reflecting on these things. When the clock struck midnight, I let out a deep breath. June was going to be decidedly different than May, and from April as well. The server came with the bill and I reached into my purse to grab my wallet. I faintly heard the hinges weep as I cracked it open like an old book with a stiff spine. I slid my debit card out and held it for a few seconds. Staring into it, I searched for my reflection. I wasn't there. I slowly handed the server my card, and just as he snatched it away, I felt a flutter in my chest, a nervous excitement that comes from the unfamiliar. Money had become foreign to me, but I was ready to be reacquainted. I watched as he went to the computer and swiped my card, like it was nothing! As if my card was used to being man handled...

*He has no idea what he just did* I thought... I reviewed the receipt and took pause before I signed it. It felt monumental, as if I was signing a declaration or something. I carefully picked up my card, placed it back in my wallet, and closed the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment